Thursday, January 6, 2011

Character Study and Snow

The last of my 4 assignments was just submitted moments ago. We have to do a picture called a character study. Its purpose is to allow us to gain experience creating images of people that emphasize character and expression.

I chose to do a picture of my friend M L. She was one of the landlords I contacted before I moved up here. I was seriously considering living with her, but then Julie (my current roomie) contacted me to let me know about the place we're in now. What sold me most on our current place was how close to school it was (approx. 2 miles). Even though M L's house is about 10 minutes from school, it was still farther than our apt.

But I've kept in touch with her since I've arrived and gone over multiple times for a dinner meal. We've chatted over tea and she is a faithful reader of my blog. So when I needed to get this assignment done, I called her (kinda last-minute) and asked if I could come over and photograph her.

I went over after classes today and wondered if maybe one of her cats would sit upon her lap, but after realizing that she crochets, I thought it might be fun to get her crocheting. I was shooting from one angle, then realized it might be better to try from a different angle. When I got into my second position, I took an "oops" photography that had her hands in focus and her face not. I really liked the effect it gave, showing emphasis on her hands as they delicately made a pattern that will turn into a beautiful homemade piece.

I played with poses, since facial expression, body language, and gesture are paramount in a picture like this. I finally ended up with this shot being my favorite.

I look forward to many more meals with M L; she has taught me to appreciate a wider variety of veggies. She has her own garden and uses a lot of her own stuff. She's a great cook. Thanks M L for opening up your home to me and for being a new friend throughout my journey at Hallmark.



On a different note, tomorrow afternoon we have open commercial studio time, so we can take our commercial studio pic for the Phase 2 finals. I think I am going to set up a kitchen scene with a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies on a cookie tray with black canisters behind them blurred out. We'll see how it turns out.

Then we're supposed to be getting snow tomorrow and Saturday. On Saturday Rikki and I are going to get some pictures done for our Phase 2 final, which include my self-portrait (I think I came up with a good idea) and then she's going to take her environmental portrait of me in the public library down the street from both our houses. It should be a good time. On Monday we have open portrait studio time to take our PR portrait and our "alternative" portrait; I hope I can get both mine done during our allotted time. Then the only other one I'll have left to do outside class is my environmental shot. I have a really cool idea if I can pull it off. I somehow need to gain access to a school and a hallway with lockers.

It's going to be a CRAZY few days. If you don't hear from me, I'll return soon...and with plenty of new pictures, I'm sure!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment