Sunday, January 30, 2011

Busy Little Beaver


(from google.com images)

It has been a busy last few weeks. I feel like that has been my motif for awhile, but it's true.

We got back from Christmas and had a lot of work to submit. Then my brother got married and I flew to VA. I got back and had to submit my Phase 2 portfolio of work (which I blogged about here). Then days later, we got our Phase 3 mandatories and it has been chaotic - of sorts - ever since. Plus add into that lots of snow and icky weather, and I call it "Hallmark-life/winter-in-a-nutshell".

But amidst the chaos, I have so much to share. Here are some brief moments of what's been occupying my time:

- I met a wonderful woman who owns a local jewelry shop. I borrowed brass engagement rings to use for a shoot I had of reflective metal. She has since offered use of her beautiful Victorian home for photoshoots, as well as use of her kids and family as models, if I need some. Her employee also volunteered up some friends and relatives who are close by.

- I love this bed and breakfast nearby. My mom and I stayed there when I was looking at Hallmark. I have since called the B&B for shoots and to get connections. The owner is so lovely and has given me many names of people whom I can contact.

- I have been emailing with a world-renowed artist who sews, knits, does pottery, teaches, writes, and lives on this beauteous farm, built in the 1700s. She has redone the inside; its rooms are decorated with her artistic flair. Oh and did I mention they have lambs and sheep on rolling pastures of grass (well snow-covered grass currently)? I CANNOT wait to go there and take pictures.

- I took pictures of another artist's work....little animals that she knitted together. Hopefully they will be posted on the website of the B&B.

- I saw a job posting on the bulletin board at school to have photographs of a home (still being built) be taken. I contacted the man who is doing the tile work and will be going to the house (likely in March) to get pictures of his custom tile work. I will then be making contact with the actual builder to possibly get some photos for him as well. Oh, and this home sounds like it will be loved by yours truly....the way that the tile maker described it was: "It's an Adirondack Lodge/ Arts and Crafts style". Oh, I think I will just want to call it my own.

- I got an email today about taking portraits of a premie born January 1. I am soooo excited to document this special little boy's features. I am also excited to use this "cocoon" I bought off of Etsy (one of my new favorite websites). I will likely be going there next weekend.

- I am trying to get an occupational portrait of a local wedding cake baker. I hope it can work out. I am trying to get a few of my shots for my Phase 3 to be oriented around weddings, since that's what I'd like my primary focus to be when I am done.

I am also busy writing my Career Business Plan, making business cards, a stationary set, and finding a place to host my website. For any of you techies out there, are there any hosting sites you'd recommend (what about ShowIt, bludomain, PhotoBiz, etc.)?

Sadly, b/c of these Phase 3 assignments all coming in a bundle, we've not had an individual shooting assignment to do. So I've not had pictures to post. I did take a picture the morning after we got some snow. I went downtown - along the river - and saw this beautiful mist coming off the water. I promise as soon as I get it off my camera, I'll post it. For now, appreciate the "pictures" in your life...the things that you find beautiful.

And as one of guest speakers said the other day, "You have to learn to LOOK before you can SEE, and you have to WANT to look!" ~Jay Maisel I hope I want to look for a loooong time.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment