Monday, November 1, 2010

weekend fun

This past weekend consisted of the following:

-trip to NYC for the PhotoPlus expo
-riding on the NJ Transit train
-attempting to get my cell phone fixed (the screen is broken; they couldn't help so I had to order a phone online.)
-taking pictures for an assignment due this morning
-watching my nephews carve their pumpkins
-going to the mall with my mom
-going to church, followed by "Trunk-or-Treat", where trunks of cars/trucks are decorated and kids can get candy.
-laundry, laundry, and more laundry

Now to break it down some...

I drove home to NJ on Thurs. evening b/c on Friday, we all were going to the PhotoPlus expo at the Javits Center in NYC. I was going to take a few friends down with me, but we had to postpone our weekend getaway for another time. I decided it'd still be fun to head home and spend some extra time with my family, with nothing else on my agenda.

The expo was fun...I got some freebies and entered my name in a few giveaways. I'm sure I won't win any of them - I never do - but hey, it's worth a shot. I got some good ideas for wedding photography and picked up some catalogs with even more ideas in them. I got to see some demos taking place and got to listen to this one photog. talk about weddings and the way he likes to stylize his work. All in all, it was eye-opening to see the MANY possibilities out there, and a tad overwhelming at the amount of "things" that consume the business.

On Thurs. night, I received word that a good friend passed away from cancer. She was a former colleague of mine at PBU. We worked together for almost 2 years in the Professional Division (I was the secretary for School of Education; she was the secretary for the School of Church and Community Ministries, including Social Work and Grad. Counseling). Then we both moved down to Student Life and she took post as the Director of the Academic Resource Center. She not only helped all the students at PBU, but at the end of the day, went home to care for her family and grandkids. She had a HUGE heart and was an incredible blessing in my life. I remember conversations we had, laughs we shared, tears that streamed down our faces, and moments that I will never forget which taught me about loving others, having compassion, and giving your all to something you care about. Lora, the angels are dancing with you...

You had love for your family
Love for all people
Love for the Father and Son
Your heart will be heard
In your unspoken words
Through generations to come

You’re dancing with the angels
Walking in new life
You’re dancing with the angels
Heaven fills your eyes
Now that you’re dancing with the angels

There is so much that I don’t understand
But I know

We’re only here for such a short time
So I’m gonna’ stand up, shout out,
And sing Hallelujah
One day I’ll see you again


- Dancing with the Angels (Monk and Neagle)

It was fun watching my nephews decorate their pumpkins. This is the final result of all of 'em:



Then on Sunday at the Trunk-or-Treat, I took a lot of pictures, but here are a few favs:


The Heverlys' dressed up as the Mad Hatter, Queen of Hearts, and Alice from Alice in Wonderland


Gavin


Grant


Dean

It was a great weekend of time at home....

Now onto another busy week of taking pictures and learning new things.
This coming weekend I'm heading to PA to assist my friend Lori at a wedding. Looking forward to a lot of fun.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment