Monday, October 25, 2010

My Weekend, day by day (Sunday)


I'm wrapping up the weekend's festivities with this post....

Sunday morning we woke up to a chilly, overcast day. Julie, Kayli (another Hallmark student) and I drove to Greenfield (next town over) for the 2nd annual Rays of Hope walk. As I mentioned in this post, there is an annual walk for breast cancer. Springfield (the city where Julie used to live) has a huge amount of people show up (this year some 19,000), but this is only the 2nd year in Greenfield, so there were only about 700.

It's still HUGE though that so many people come to walk for this great event.

About 12 in total were there from Hallmark, walking with Julie. It was so wonderful to see so many people walking - men, women, children, pets) and encouraging things taking place throughout the walk. They had small entertainment along the way, a little stop with bottled waters and granola bars, and the walk culminated with some singing and raffles.

I didn't bring my camera with me because, to be honest, I didn't want to schlep it along for 2 miles. So at one point, I asked Julie to borrow her camera and take a picture of her, so I could say it was "mine". This is her along the road at a house that was "celebrating" the walk too:



Of course it started drizzling as soon as the walk started and ended right near the end of the walk itself, but it didn't stop us from going. It was so encouraging to see everyone there. I know someone going through breast cancer right now, and she was brought to mind so many times throughout the walk. I thought about the countless others whose lives have been impacted by this disease with no cure.

As I wrote earlier, I commend survivors of cancer. I know I've had my small share of little medical issues, but the determinism of people to fight cancer is among the top on my list of people who have fight in them.

Here's the gang from Hallmark (Julie is front and center):



The scarf she's wearing was given to her free....they made scarves for all the survivors. She's also wearing a special pink t-shirt for survivors, and not sure you can see it, but they also gave her a medallion (of sorts) that is for survivors too. What a celebration and much-deserved "badge of honor".

What a wonderful way to end the weekend. Now it's back to the grind.

This week we have a bunch of assignments. They all seem to be due on Monday. 4 of them, to be exact.
And this Friday we're headed to the Big Apple for a photo expo. It should be fun!

Till next time.....
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for Julie! And still praying for the others struggling...

    ReplyDelete