Thursday, November 4, 2010

Phase One Final Assignment

It's unreal to think, but we are ALMOST done with Phase One. It officially ends tomorrow. And to reward punish us, they gave us this assignment labeled - quite simply - Phase One Final Assignment.

There are 10 files in total...8 different shots.

Without giving away all of the assignment, here are some of the at-a-glance shots we need to take:

- a self-portrait, not only just showing who I am, but revealing something about my personality
- a portrait of one of my hands, taken by me. I have to have one hand as a "model" and the other focusing and depressing the shutter.
- an environmental portrait (example: someone at their job)
- a product shot (in an environment appropriate to the product)...since I love doing laundry, I may try and shoot Snuggle or dryer sheets with some laundry in the background blurred out.
- a simple black and white portrait of someone
- a picture showing cool on cool or warm on warm OR cool on warm or warm on cool, like pictures taken in this post.

....and a few others. The whole assignment is due on Monday, November 15th. Not only do we have to take the shots, but we then need to put each one through editing and color correction, as well as print each one for submission during the Phase One review.
It's still overwhelming at this point, esp. since I've only gotten 2 shots completed and I'm going to PA this weekend. Maybe I can get some shots this weekend while I'm "out and about". I'm not behind, as most of my peers have only completed a few shots.

We also had time in the Portrait Studio today, and for the first time we were tethered to a computer. For those who don't know what this means, we plug a cord into both the computer and our camera...and instead of seeing the picture on the back of our camera screen, we look at it (enlarged) on the computer screen. It helps us see the image magnified. It was quite fun and made me feel "professional". We also used strobes for the first time and had our cameras synched to the cord from the strobe, so the light/flash went off when we pressed the shutter. Think of your childhood school pictures, where the bright light flashes quickly, or a portrait studio (like Sears) where those bright, quick flashes go off.

While in the studio, we had to get a bunch of different lighting patterns: split light, Rembrandt light, short and broad lighting, loop lighting, and butterfly lighting. I am fairly embarrassed to send you to this website, because the mannequin used is HIDEOUS, but it gets the point across. Once I submit my photos for this assignment, I'll try and post MY version of the lighting techniques so you can see them on a real person.

For now, check this out.

(I know, the mannequin needs to be replaced!)

AND...next week we're going into the Commercial Studio to shoot objects with shape again, this time using strobes. I think I am going to use my new Teavana set, and am quite excited. Stay tuned!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment