Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Portrait Lighting

In this post, I talked about how we had this assignment in the portrait studio where we had to create these different lighting patterns. I gave you a link with this hideous mannequin head. I also promised I'd put up the pictures I took for comparison.

Here are the ones I submitted. My model is Megan, a classmate of mine.

SPLIT LIGHTING (see the split down the middle of her nose?):


Then we had to do split lighting, but this time with the use of a reflector, making the picture have a 3-stop difference between on the highlight and shadow sides of the face. Notice how the pictures differ; the first one is darker and the second one is brighter, allowing you to still see the split, but also more of the shadow side of her face.


REMBRANDT SHORT LIGHTING (see the triangle under her eye? It's the technique that Rembrandt used in his portraits):


REMBRANDT BROAD LIGHTING:


For this one, too, we had to make use of the reflector for the 3-stop difference, either doing short or broad lighting:


LOOP LIGHTING (see the nose reflection?)


And same for this one....loop lighting with the reflector and 3-stop difference:


BUTTERFLY LIGHTING (see the shadow that the light makes under her nose? It looks a bit like a butterfly):
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment