Monday, April 8, 2013

Sisters:: Lancaster, PA

Two months ago, my grandpa passed away. Just two short months later my grandma followed. They were married for 69 years. She wanted to be with her husband, and her Jesus. While we are joyful they have met their Maker, of course we grieved, especially since their passing occurred within months of each other.

When we had my grandpa's funeral in January, my grandma's two sisters - who also live at the home where they were - came to the viewing. Anna Mae is 96 and Mary is 94. My grandma was 92 and my grandpa 90. Anna Mae and Mary like to share that I am named for their mother Sarah. Neither Anna Mae nor Mary ever married, and for years upon arriving at Landis Homes, they shared a cottage together. Because of their various health needs, they no longer share space, but live in different parts of the home.

When they came to my grandma's viewing, they shared with me some of their story. They talked about their world travels when they were younger, about their family and where they grew up (in total, there were nine children, four of whom are still living). Their recollection of moments in time is tack sharp. They remember people's birthdays and where they were in a given year of history. What a rarity to be 94 and 96, still walking and with a mental capacity such as they; they are true sweethearts! And what fun to live life with your sister by your side for so many years.

They were able to go to the graveside service for grandma, and while seated, Mary grabbed onto my hands, wrapping them around her neck. What a sweet reminder of the fragility of life, and the blessing that these women are. I don't know either of them very well. I remember them from family reunions and some visits while seeing grandma and grandpa at the home, but they have a very special place in my heart. I remember attending their mother's funeral (I must have been no older than five) and they gave me a pink stuffed animal.

It was so wonderful getting to see Anna Mae and Mary. I asked them if I could take their pictures. I love their simplicity. I love their cute grins and their kisses. I love looking at their aged hands and for the memories that they have stored within their heads.

Anna Mae

Mary


sisters

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This is SO beautiful!...a testimony to family. You are blessed, Sarah!
    Laurie H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie....My family is so special!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete