Thursday, December 16, 2010

Portraits at the Airport

A few posts ago, I wrote about our trip to the Northampton Airport to do aerial photography. Of course, while we were there, we were tasked to do other things than just fly. We were asked to take portraits of our classmates using a new strobe (a type of flash). Essentially what the strobe does - what we were trying to accomplish - is to measure the ambient (available) light and force what was daylight to not look so much like high noon. When this happens, the strobe is putting a highlight on our subject, making them stand out against the background.

Garrett, whom I've photographed before, was working alongside me, so I got some good shots of him.









Then Gregory Heisler, our artist-in-residence, asked me if I wanted to go shoot an idea he had. He led me to the little "lodge" where the airport does business. It was our "home base" for the day, and also the place that provided warmth on an otherwise cold day!

Anyway, he showed me how if you put the strobe outside the building and have a model inside looking outside (through mini blinds on the door) that THIS is the effect you can get:



AMAZING, right?? He is a genius!

We had a fun day and at the end of it all, we were cold through and through. Afterwards my roomie Julie and I stopped by the Yankee Candle flagship store and took pictures of the lights. They have this fantastic display of lights (pictures to come soon). Then a bunch of us went out to eat...what a good way to end a good day!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment