Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Take me out to the ballgame....

If there is one sport my nephew enjoys playing, it's baseball. A few months ago, he wrote a report for school and dressed up like Derek Jeter. He plays on a team, plays for fun when he's not playing on the team, and looks pretty darn cute, er, rugged in his baseball hat. He's for sure all boy -- doesn't mind the mud, loves running around and getting sweaty, and enjoys the days of youth.

I only got to see one of Grant's baseball games before moving back to PA. Just days prior he had gotten a pretty fat lip after taking a baseball to the face. But he mustered up the courage to play the game, and be the best 1st baseman/shortstop/pitcher he could be.


counting the number of outs (can you see the black and blue on his upper lip?)
All was going well, until he got a little protective of first base. The runner came toward him and he didn't realize it probably wasn't a good idea to stand in front of the bag. What happened next took us all a bit by surprise. He and the other little boy collided and Grant took a pretty hard hit to the sand.

But he got up and went about his business, trying to avoid crying and acting like the tough 8 yr. old that he is. But then his coach came over to make sure he was OK, and Grant just kept his eyes looking forward. He couldn't be bothered....




The inning ended, and he got up to bat. He got a pretty good hit that got him to first base.




 Proudly sporting the #2 jersey...

 He hasn't quite realized he shouldn't watch the ball as he runs...but he ended up scoring a run....


And meanwhile, his brothers were half watching, half playing, and I caught this pic of my other nephew Dean.... There is just something so gripping about this image...maybe because he's my oldest nephew... seemingly all grown up... Oh, how I wish I could freeze time and just savor these sweet memories I am able to capture.

I absolutely cherish the time I get with my little men. I still snuggle with them, and scratch their backs. I love trying to distract them from watching tv or playing their video games, just to hear them say "Siiiiissy, stop!" I love when they come running - ready to topple me over - when they've not seen me in awhile. And I love sleepovers... Why do they have to get so big??

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yes those are MY boys but anytime you want them they are all yours!!!! Awesome pics. I will be sure and have the boys look at them!!!!

    ReplyDelete