Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ironworks TKD

Toward the end of last year, I had the opportunity to photograph taekwondo students, as they participated in their first tournament. I didn't know quite what to expect, as there was a flutter of activity going on at once. Names were being called, there were four different areas where students would be presenting before judges, and the terminology was unfamiliar. But I figured out quickly where I needed to be, and enjoyed watching this sport that I've not watched often at all.

The founder of Ironworks TKD - Helmut Hensel - went to the university where I work. It is great to see his dedication in building up this business from a dream he's had, and as people in the community become more aware of what he's doing, I hope that they will continue to grow.

The event took place at the United Sports facility in Downingtown, PA. Students participated in poomsae (forms), open hand, breaking (boards), and sparring. I watched most of the students from Ironworks do their forms and - as you'll see below - breaking boards. The sparring went late into the afternoon, and I only got to see the very little kids do this. It was so cute seeing these tiny kids all suited up to spar with one another.

















Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment