Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Gavin and Cranberry Streusel Muffins

I am doing some testing with my watermark being applied to pictures (a goal of mine to have for all my blog and website pics for 2012)...and of course what better than to apply it to an adorably cute picture of my nephew from a few days before Christmas.

I had a wonderful Christmas and am thankful for the gifts I received. It was great spending time with my family and seeing the expressions on my nephews faces as they opened their presents. Hope you had a wonderful day celebrating with family and friends.


And just because.....I found this new recipe I am dying to try. If you're interested in a good muffin recipe, try this out. I have cranberries on the mind because I just mentioned to a friend last night that I was craving these grilled cranberries muffins we get at a fantastically wonderful coffee house in PA.

Cranberry Streusel Muffins

1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts
2 cups fresh cranberries
grated peel of 1 orange
2 T unsalted butter, melted

(makes 12)

1. preheat oven to 350.
2. put buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk lightly.
3. put the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl. add the chilled, diced butter and rub into the dry ingredients using your fingertips. when the mixture looks like bread crumbs, add the chopped nuts and mix to combine. scoop out about 1/2 c of the dry mixture and set aside in a separate bowl.
4. add the egg mixture to the large bowl and mix until only just combined. add the cranberries and orange peel and fold in briefly.
5. spoon the mixture into the muffin liners, filling them almost to the top. 
6. pour the melted butter into the reserved dry ingredients and mix with a fork until crumbly. scatter evenly over the muffins.
7. put the muffin pan on the middle shelf of the oven. bake for about 20 min. or until golden  and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

When I make mine, I'll take pictures to post.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. These muffins sound so good, Sarah. And the weather is just right for baking. Your watermark looks great up there.

    ReplyDelete