Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hong Kong

This blog has existed for quite some time now, but my posts were few and far between. I deleted the old and now will begin with the new. I arrived to Hong Kong just a few days ago and thought it might be fun to chronicle my journey - with you - on here. Surprisingly, to those who know me well, I have not yet taken ONE picture...I know, shocker, right?

But this will all change soon.

I think I'm going to plan a day outing this weekend with the students here...and go to a shopping district. They have a flower market, a goldfish market, Ladies market, and souvenirs, etc.

My time here so far has been great, sans having hot water, taking a trip to the hospital (not me, accompanied a student), and getting caught – but for a moment- in a blast of rain. I am still a bit whacky with my sleeping, but getting there. It’s hot outside, but the school is very air conditioned, and my apartment I’m staying in is beautiful. Basic, but furnished.

I am excited to get out and explore. The MTR (train) station is right across from the school and there is a public bus system and a bus stop right near the MTR, which takes me to the mall…where I can shop, exchange money, etc. I actually will be going there this afternoon.

The food is good…haven’t gotten sick yet….having porkchop with rice today and egg included…it comes with a sweetened tea (my fav). I haven’t even begun to master the chopsticks, but want to try, since I know I won’t get far if I don’t. I’ll have to carry a fork or spoon in my purse everywhere I go.


A few notable items:

- people in Hong Kong care very much about their grounds…there is rarely trash or debris anywhere. I even saw people scrubbing the mall floors with washcloths. They take pride in their country.

- They don’t have power lines aboveground…all of their power is run underground. GENIOUS!

- Bakeries in other countries don’t do justice to Dunkin’ Donuts. I got a chocolate croissant and cranberry and chocolate loaf this morning. Oh, the bliss!

- MTR is a great way to travel. Their rail system is so easy and reminds me of the tube in London…and again, SO SO clean.

- People are still concerned about sickness. They still (with frequency) wear surgical masks.

For now, I’ll leave you with one pic…the first one I’m taking of my trip. It’s the computer lab (aka my temporary office for 4 weeks), where I’ll be emailing/blogging/doing business from.




Enjoy my journey with me…and you can live vicariously through me as I explore Hong Kong.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment