Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vanderbilt Mansion:: Hyde Park, NY

A few weeks ago, a dear friend and I visited Hallmark - the photography school we attended. I met Rikki at her home near Poughkeepsie, NY, and she mentioned the Vanderbilt Mansion. Before I left town, we headed to the mansion, sometimes known as Hyde Park Mansion. It's near the estate of FDR.

When we pulled in, I immediately thought of how much it reminded me of a new favorite show - Downton Abbey. I was fascinated by the grandeur of the home, and imagined the galas thrown, the fancy cars, the butlers that roamed around the interior, and the conversations that were held within the walls of this beautiful mansion. In 1940, FDR signed legislation to allow the Vanderbilt Mansion to be part of the National Park Service ("Did You Know" fact from the mansion's homepage)


We didn't get to go inside, but the grounds were grand. The back of the house overlooks the Hudson, and to the one side of the house are these fabulous gardens. Wikipedia says this of the gardens:

"Frederick's interest and love of horticulture caused him to develop several large gardens on the Vanderbilt estate. These lavish gardens incorporated the formal “Italian” style. This meant that the beds were arranged in such a way that if you drew a line across the middle, either horizontally or vertically, one side of the line would mirror the other side. These formal gardens also consisted of multiple tiers, which depended on the type of plants. Each level was different. Frederick himself added the rose garden which contained almost 2000 “vintage” rose bushes along with other kinds of roses. The Vanderbilt gardens were grand and exquisite."




I'm so glad we visited this historic estate. There are times when I wonder what it'd be like to live in a place like that.

And while we were there, we went inside the gift shop. It was full of gift books, how-to's and lots of random gifts - from soaps to teacups and collectibles of all kinds. One of the books I picked up was The Art of the Handwritten Note.  I love sending people notes, and it was a must-read. I now have a copy of the book and am so enthralled with reading about the history of writing notes and the etiquette of doing so. It makes me wish I knew how to do calligraphy or that I had a quill pen that I could dip into an inkwell. Maybe one day!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you enjoyed going there! Isn't it amazing? Next time you come visit we'll have to go for a tour inside, it is unreal. Such beauty. Can't wait for your next post from this trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend. I am glad to have gone, and to have been able to see you.
    Next post coming soon.

    ReplyDelete