Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mutarica

When I was in Thailand in 2008, the asst. director was this gal Mutarica.
We'd write back and forth about details of the school, housing accommodations, peoples' flight itineraries, and such, all the while not knowing how old she was, or what she looked like. We were business penpals for a short time.

I finally wrote and asked how old she was, just to get a sense. I soon realized through further emails that we'd be fast friends.

As soon as I got over there, we talked about life - friends, interests, PBU, ICS (the school we used in Thailand), etc. We went to night markets, the mall, massages, the airport (to pick others up), and enjoyed cruising around in her car.

I felt truly blessed to have her...to know she spoke the language when I didn't know what to say. She told me the places to see and took me to church with her each week.

I had found a friend.

But then the tricky part ensued....would we stay in touch when I left? Would we write? Would we always have that summer to recall memories, but not much after that?
We emailed back and forth, and then I got a postcard from her, and realized, "Why have I not been sending her snail mail?" I love sending people notes...why had I not thought of that?? So just within the last few months, we wrote a few handwritten notes back and forth too.

We always talked about seeing each other again. I didn't think I'd come back this way for a long time, if ever. But here I am, just a few hours away (by flight). And, I am SO SO excited to say, Mutarica is coming TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! She is going to spend the weekend and we're going to wreak havoc (for you, Kay) in Hong Kong.

I am sure we'll laugh a lot, and pick up right where we left off two years ago.

I'll be sure to post some pics of our time together; for now, this is my friend:



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment